The importance of staying organized in our daily lives
In the whirlwind of our daily lives, keeping everything in order can feel like juggling too many balls at once. From managing work commitments to maintaining an organized home life, there’s never a shortage of tasks vying for our attention. It’s no wonder that sometimes important dates get missed, tasks fall through the cracks, and our lives can feel a bit chaotic.
That’s where the magic of planners comes into play. They aren’t just notebooks; they’re a secret weapon for anyone looking to master the art of organization. If you’ve ever wondered how to regain control of your busy life and become a productivity pro, you’re in the right place.
In this guide, we’re about to embark on a journey through the world of planners where we’ll discover how these little books can be game-changers for keeping you on track and getting stuff done!
So, grab your favorite beverage and find a cozy corner because, by the end of this article, you’ll be armed with the knowledge and inspiration you need to take charge of your life and find your path to an organized, balanced, and stress-free existence.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase a recommended product, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Rest assured that I will not recommend any product that I would not use myself. For our full policies and disclosures click here.
How to choose the right planner to organize your life
Now that you’ve recognized the power of planners, the next step is finding the one that suits you and the way you live and work. Planners come in various shapes, sizes, and types from modern digital planners to classic traditional paper planners. So let’s explore these options and highlight why it’s crucial to pick the one that aligns perfectly with your lifestyle and needs.
In this tech-savvy age, digital planners have become increasingly popular. They live on your gadgets (computer or iPad), are often synchronized with your calendar apps, and are accessible from anywhere. They are perfect for those who don’t like clutter and offer features like reminders, easy editing, and even the ability to set notifications for important events. If you rely on your phone or computer for organization, a digital planner may be your best option.
The top 12 most popular digital planners
I have compiled a list of the top 12 most used digital planners according to Google. They are in no particular order and list a few of their strong points to help you decide if they are right for you. Click the highlighted planner name for more information.
- Track your commitments and objectives down to the minute
- A to-do list that lets you prioritize tasks and see how much work remains
- Customizable goals
- A mood tracker
- A calendar with month, week, and day views
- A customizable layout that you can use to organize your tasks and planning
- A detailed list of the week’s scheduled activities, with space for notes and links to additional resources
- The ability to add photos or videos to your tasks
- Automatic contact management
- A task list that lets you see all your current tasks in one place
- A calendar that lets you plan your day by filling out all the relevant details
- The ability to add notes, photos, and links to files associated with your tasks
- The ability to share your tasks with others via email or social media
- A calendar that lets you see your schedule in detail, including all the tasks, deadlines, and notes related to each event.
- The ability to create “To Dos” and “Wish Lists”
- Ability to add photos, links, and files to items
- Real-time updates on task progress so you always know where you stand.
- Trello boards to organize and track work items, with drag-and-drop simplicity
- A visual board editor that makes it easy to create custom layouts and add text, images, lists, and checklists
- Charts and graphs to visualize data
- Collaborative timeline feature that allows groups of people to work on the same project at the same time
- Automatic message notification so you never miss a beat
- Easy to use and efficient, making it perfect for busy people who want to stay on top of their workload
- Built-in templates that let you create your own plan quickly and easily
- A lot of features that help you stay organized, such as filters, starred items, reminder functions, and more
- Integrates with other apps and devices so you can keep everything in one place
- Customize your plan according to your needs
- An easy-to-use task management system that lets you list, prioritize and track your tasks easily
- A calendar that allows you to track your deadlines and plan ahead for events
- The notes section lets you keep track of any important notes or ideas that you need to remember
- Notes feature lets you keep track of important details related to your goals and tasks
- A timer function that lets you track how much time you spend on each task
- An integrated calendar that lets you see when your goals and tasks are due
- Support for multiple currencies, so you can easily keep track of your expenses
- A daily overview that shows how much progress you’re making on each task
- A color-coded system that makes it easy to see which tasks are urgent and which are less important
- The ability to add notes and links so you can easily access related information
- The option to share your plan with friends or family members, so they can help you stay on track
- A daily routine to help you prioritize and plan your day
- A to-do list that lets you add items as you go, so you never have to worry about forgetting anything
- A notes section for taking quick notes or ideas that you want to remember later
- An archive that saves all your important files in one place
- Annotation for PPTs and PDFs
- Create many folders and subfolders
- Save audio recordings
- Add cover papers to your notebooks
- Access notes on your Mac
- Shared documents with shareable links
- Reading journals
- Digital planner for iPad and Tablets
- Free digital stickers
Traditional Paper Planner
There’s an undeniable charm in putting pen to paper, and traditional paper planners offer just that. With pages you can physically touch, they provide a tangible connection to your plans.
This is my preferred method of organizing. There is something about feeling the pages lying flat on your desk and seeing your own handwriting that makes me happy. Not to mention color coding, pretty stickers, and being able to put a checkmark next to completed items!
And many people find the act of writing things down to be a memory aid in itself. Lord knows if I don’t write it down I will forget about it!
Traditional planners also come in various designs and layouts, allowing you to choose one that resonates with your aesthetic preferences. If you appreciate the tactile experience of writing and want a break from screen time, a paper planner might be your ideal choice.
Now, here’s the thing: there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. What works best depends on your personal style, layout preferences, and the specific demands of your daily life. Are you a tech-savvy, on-the-go business owner who relies heavily on digital tools? Or perhaps you’re someone who enjoys the creative process of decorating your planner pages. Maybe you’re somewhere in between, and a combination of both types suits you.
The key takeaway here is that your planner should be an extension of your personality and a tool that simplifies your life. So, take your time, explore your options, and consider what kind of planner aligns with your unique needs and lifestyle. When you find the right one, you’ll be on your way to unlocking the full potential of organized living.
my top favorite paper planners
Some of these planners I have used myself over the years but some I have just discovered while researching for you. Click the highlighted planner names for more information to find the right one for you.
The Happy Planner – I have personally had many of these planners and love them! If you love to make things pretty, this is your planner!
- Lots of layout options and customizable with their disc binding
- Beautiful designs
- Dated and undated options come in 12-month layouts
- Choose the size, design, and page layout that works for you!
- Planners come with monthly calendars, weekly pages, and many more.
Passionate Penny Pincher Home Planner – My current planner and a personal favorite for getting work and chores done!
- Home Planner w/Stickers
- Daily Checklists for chores and lots of room for writing in tasks
- Monthly Budget Worksheet
- Monthly Calendar Layout
- Notes page every month
- Vacation Checklist
- Coil Binding that folds nicely
- Pretty Poly Laminated Covers
Erin Condren Planners – These planners are beautiful and customizable!
- Softbound Planners, Coiled Planners & Ring Agenda Inserts
- Durable, Personalizable Covers and sturdy Metallic Hardware
- Choose Your Planner Layout, Size & Design to Fit Your Needs & Style
Sugar Paper Signature Planner – Didn’t even know about these ones. Great simple layouts.
- Each weekly spread has open planning space for each day on the right side and lists on the left.
- Tabbed monthly spread offers sections for personal, health, work, and financial goals, plus important dates.
- Expand your organizational skills with bonus pages that include stickers, a holiday list, a notes page, a bucket list, a 2-page reference calendar, and a storage pocket.
- Planner has a durable poly Pink with Dots cover and gold twin-wire binding.
How to use a planner for beginners
Congratulations on taking the first step towards a more organized life! To begin this journey, we’ll break it down into two essential components: creating a daily schedule and dedicating time for planning. Read on to learn how to start using a planner as a beginner.
Creating a Daily Schedule
Your planner’s first and foremost purpose is to help you chart your course through the day. It’s your trusty companion for recording all your tasks, appointments, and important dates. To kick things off, let’s start by creating a daily schedule in the daily planner or weekly planner section of your planner.
Begin by outlining your day. Note the time you wake up and set aside for morning routines. Then, block out time for work, errands, meals, and any other commitments. Don’t forget to allocate a bit of time for yourself and your well-being. The idea here is to have a clear map of how your day will unfold. As you jot down tasks and appointments, you’ll notice the beauty of your planner—everything in one place, easily accessible.
In my personal planner, I keep track of personal and work-related items. I work from home so I don’t have to worry about others seeing my personal agenda so I can keep everything in one place. My planner helps me keep track of everything from daily and weekly chores, my daily work tasks, and my personal appointments, birthdays, to-dos, and habits. And it’s so pretty! If you’re interested in this particular planner you can get it here. Passionate Penny Pincher Home Planner They also sell some on Amazon. It’s a little pricey but worth every penny to me!
The Importance of Setting Aside Time for Planning
As they say, failing to plan is planning to fail. My favorite saying! So, it’s vital to establish a dedicated time for planning. Many people find Sunday evening to be a perfect moment to reflect on the upcoming week. It’s a quiet, introspective time when you can sit down with your planner and set your intentions for the week ahead. I tend to plan my week either Sunday night or first thing Monday morning over coffee.
During this planning session, review your to-do list, upcoming tasks, appointments, and other important dates. Take a moment to assess what worked well in the previous week and what didn’t. Use this time to make adjustments and ensure that the coming week is as smooth as possible. Setting aside time for planning not only keeps you organized but also helps reduce the stress of the unknown.
Remember, your planner isn’t just a record of what you’ve done, although it feels good to see all those checkmarks :); it’s a powerful tool for shaping what you will do. By creating a daily schedule and reserving time for planning, you’re taking proactive steps to steer your life in the direction you desire.
But please remember, you are not going for perfection! You can always move unchecked tasks to the next week if you didn’t get something done. Don’t stress yourself out! I do assign work tasks on certain days, but I don’t hold myself accountable to those days. I just try and complete my tasks by the end of the week no matter what day I get them done.
Now, let’s move forward and explore how you can organize your daily tasks effectively.
Organizing Daily Tasks
In the world of planners, your daily tasks take center stage. This is where the magic happens, and it all begins with two essential tools: your to-do list and your task list.
Creating a To-Do List
Your to-do list is like a roadmap for your day. It’s the place where you jot down all the tasks and activities you need to complete. Use a different color or symbol to categorize tasks for personal life, work, or any other area of your life. I see many people assign a color to each person in the family to keep things organized and easy to read at a glance.
In my planner, I like to add my appointments first because they have specific dates and times for these. Then I will add in my tasks and chores without time so I can do them when it works for me. However, other people like to time-block. This is where they will allocate a specific block of time for each task throughout the day. This is too stringent for me but it may work for you.
A great way to make your to-do list even more effective is by using stickers. For instance, you can use a star sticker for the most important tasks and a clock sticker for time-sensitive ones. This visual differentiation helps you quickly identify the most critical items on your list. This company makes amazing stickers for planners. Me & My Big Ideas Happy Planner Stickers
Or you can simply write the tasks in your planner in order of priority or use all-caps for more important items. There may even be a section in your planner for priorities. Read more about prioritizing below.
How to Prioritize Tasks
Prioritizing is a crucial element of effective time management. The best way to prioritize is by considering the urgency and importance of each task. Allocate more time to tasks with high priority.
For tasks that are essential but may not have a specific time frame for completion, use a specific time or place to schedule them in your planner. This practice ensures that every task will eventually get done in your timeframe. I like to use my Notes pages or whatever page is at the beginning of the month to jot down things I need to do but don’t necessarily have a specific time for them. Then when I have some free time in my schedule, I will pull some of those items into the planner and get them done.
Remember, time management is about making the most of the hours in a day. Your planner is your trusty companion in achieving this. And, over time, it becomes a “new habit” that transforms your “everyday life.”
By staying organized with your to-do and task lists, you’re taking control of your day, effectively prioritizing what matters most, and managing your time with precision. Now, let’s move on to explore the features of your planner that can supercharge your daily routine.
What to write in your planner
Your planner isn’t just a blank canvas; it’s a treasure trove of features that can transform your organization game. Let’s dive into some of the key features, like daily pages and monthly overviews, and understand how they can help you track crucial dates, long-term goals, and those looming due dates
Daily and weekly pages are your daily companions, offering you a detailed plan for each day of the week. They’re the “right tools” for a more organized day. Within these pages, you can allocate “specific time” to each task, allowing you to see at a glance what your day will look like. Not only that, but they also offer you a dedicated space to jot down any “new task” that might pop up during the day.
Here is a list of things you can track in your daily planner for both work and/or personal…
- Goals: Set and track your short-term goals.
- Tasks: Keep a list of tasks and to-do items that need to be completed.
- Chores: Organize household chores and maintenance tasks.
- Events: Mark important events, meetings, parties, and gatherings.
- Habits: Establish and monitor daily habits for personal development.
- Appointments: Schedule appointments and meetings.
- Lists: Create lists for groceries, shopping, holidays, ideas and brainstorming.
- Reminders: Set reminders for deadlines and important dates.
- Meal Planning: Plan your meals and track your dietary goals.
- Exercise: Record your workout routines and fitness goals.
- Finance: Track expenses, bills, and budgeting.
- Notes: Jot down notes, ideas, or important information.
- Reflection: Use it for journaling or daily reflections.
- Personal Development: Track progress in self-improvement and learning.
- Health: Monitor your health metrics, medications, and appointments.
- Time Blocking: Allocate specific time slots for tasks and activities.
- Social Engagements: Plan and schedule time with friends and family.
- Travel Plans: Organize travel itineraries and packing lists.
- Project Management: Keep track of project tasks and milestones.
- Birthdays and Anniversaries: Never forget important dates.
Monthly overviews give you a broader perspective on your life. They serve as a “monthly overview” of your goals and commitments. Use these pages to plan for those “long-term goals” and remember those all-important “important dates.” It’s an excellent space to keep track of birthdays, anniversaries, and special events.
Here are some things that would be good to track in the monthly view of your planner…
- Event Planning: Mark important events, such as birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, and holidays.
- Goal Tracking: Set monthly goals and track your progress throughout the month.
- Appointment Scheduling: Record appointments, meetings, and important dates for the entire month.
- Work Deadlines: Keep track of work-related deadlines and project milestones.
- Monthly Budget: Plan your monthly budget and track expenses in one central location.
- Social Engagements: Schedule social activities, outings, and gatherings with friends and family.
- Travel Plans: Organize travel itineraries, reservations, and travel-related tasks for the month.
- Health and Fitness: Monitor your fitness routines, exercise schedules, and health goals.
- Meal Planning: Plan meals, groceries, and dietary goals for the month.
- Personal Development: Schedule time for self-improvement activities like reading, learning, or hobbies.
- Important Reminders: Use it to jot down monthly reminders for recurring tasks or maintenance.
- Project Management: Track monthly project milestones, deadlines, and tasks.
- Monthly Overviews: Reflect on the past month and plan for the upcoming month with a big-picture perspective.
- Birthdays and Special Occasions: Keep track of the birthdays and special occasions of your friends and family.
- Monthly Reflection: Use it for journaling or noting down your thoughts and reflections.
- Health and Wellness: Monitor your health, fitness, and wellness routines over the month.
- Personal Appointments: Record personal appointments like haircuts, spa visits, or doctor appointments.
- Financial Planning: Plan for savings, investments, and financial goals.
- Kids’ Activities: Keep track of your children’s school and extracurricular activities.
- Vacation Planning: Plan and schedule vacations, including travel dates and activities.
The monthly planner section allows you to take a step back and view your entire month at a glance, making it an ideal space for setting and achieving goals, organizing important events, and maintaining a well-balanced and organized life.
By fully utilizing daily pages and monthly overviews, you’re setting yourself up for success in managing your daily tasks, tracking important dates, and working toward your long-term goals. It’s all about harnessing the power of your planner’s features to make your life more streamlined and efficient.
Maintaining consistency using your planner
Congratulations, you’ve chosen a planner, and you’re on your way to a more organized life. However, the true power of a planner unfolds when it becomes an integral part of your daily routine.
Let’s explore some tips on forming good planning habits and emphasize the significance of using your planner consistently.
Make It a Morning Ritual: Start your day by reviewing your planner. It’s the “first thing” you should do to set the tone for the day. Check your to-do list, appointments, and any important tasks. By doing this regularly, you create a productive mindset for the day ahead.
Consistent Updates: Don’t let your planner gather dust. Make it a habit to update it regularly. As new tasks, appointments, and events come up, immediately jot them down. This keeps your planner current and ensures nothing is forgotten.
Set Reminders: Many digital planning systems offer the option to set reminders. Utilize this feature to receive notifications for important tasks or appointments. It’s a “specific time” to help you stay on track.
Celebrate Small Wins: Acknowledge your achievements by checking off completed tasks or goals. This is a “fun way” to boost motivation and encourage consistency in using your planner.
Stay Adaptable: Life is unpredictable and sometimes plans change. Be open to adapting your planner as needed. The flexibility to accommodate “different things” is a strength of a good planning system.
Review and Reflect: At the end of each week or month, take some time to review your planner. Reflect on what worked well and what didn’t. Adjust your planning strategies accordingly.
Accountability: Share your planning journey with a “family member” or a friend who can help keep you accountable. Discussing your progress and challenges can be motivating.
Using your planner consistently is the “only way” to unlock its full potential. It’s not just a tool; it’s your partner in managing your time, tasks, and goals. By forming good planning habits and integrating your planner into your daily routine, you’ll discover that staying organized becomes second nature, and you can enjoy a more balanced and productive life.
Let’s recap all the key points in choosing and using your planner…
Choose Wisely: Selecting the “perfect planner” is the first step towards a more organized life. Whether it’s a traditional paper planner or a digital wonder, finding the one that resonates with you is paramount. It’s a “great way” to ensure your planner becomes a reliable companion.
Daily Rituals: Creating a daily schedule and dedicating time for planning, perhaps on a “Sunday evening” to set the stage for the upcoming week, is your path to success. This is where “time management” truly shines, and it all starts with the “first thing” you do.
Tools and Features: Dive into the features of your planner, from daily pages to monthly overviews. These features are designed to help you keep track of “important dates,” “long-term goals,” and “daily tasks.” They’re your trusty companions on this journey.
Organizing Tasks: Whether it’s a simple to-do list or a complex task list, they’re essential for staying on top of your responsibilities. Prioritization is the “best way” to ensure that you tackle the “most important things” efficiently and make the most of your “much time.”
Consistency Is Key: Forming good planning habits and using your planner consistently is the secret sauce. It’s not just a tool; it’s a “new habit” that transforms your “everyday life.” Consistency ensures that your planner remains your most valuable ally.
Now, here’s the thing: everyone’s journey to an organized life is unique. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach. The beauty of planners is that they adapt to your needs and preferences. So, as we conclude this post, I encourage you to embark on your own planning journey. Experiment with different planners, try various strategies and discover what works best for you.
Remember, the perfect planner is the one that helps you embrace a more organized, balanced, and stress-free life. So, go ahead and find the planner that resonates with you. Your journey to an organized life is just beginning, and the possibilities are limitless. Get started and make each day a step closer to the life you desire. Happy planning!