Are you struggling to figure out the best way to arrange two sofas in your living room? You’re not alone. It’s a challenge to create a balanced and functional layout that fits your space and personal style.
But fear not, with this ultimate guide, you’ll learn how to expertly arrange your seating to create a cozy conversation area that ties everything together. From determining the focal point of the room to exploring layout options and adding accents and accessories, we’ve got you covered. So sit back, get comfortable, and let’s get started on creating the perfect living room arrangement.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase a recommended product, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Rest assured that I will not recommend any product that I would not use myself. For our full policies and disclosures click here.
Determine the focal point of the room before you arrange your furniture
Before you dive into arranging your furniture, it’s important to determine the focal point of the room. The focal point is the main feature that draws the eye when you enter the space. It can be anything from a fireplace, or a piece of furniture, to a large window with a scenic view. Once you identify the focal point, you can position your sofas and other furniture around it to create a harmonious and cohesive look.
Wanna learn how to get a whole new look for your room, in one day, without spending a dime?
Try my e-book “How to redesign your room, in one day, without spending a dime.” I’ll walk you through the whole process step-by-step for less than $25
Layout options for your sofas by room size
Now that you have identified the focal point, it’s time to consider the size of your living room. Whether you have a small or large space, there are plenty of layout options to choose from. Let’s look at the best arrangements for different room sizes.
Sofa arrangements for a small living room
If you only have a small space for your sofas, it’s recommended to go with a conversational layout. This means arranging your two sofas facing each other to create an intimate space. You can add a coffee table in the middle and a couple of accent chairs to make the room feel cozy, without overwhelming the space.
If your room is small chances are you will be arranging your furniture up against a wall or two. If this is the case a right-angle arrangement is a great way to make the most of the space while still allowing a great conversation area.
Medium-sized Living room sofa layout ideas
If you have a medium-sized living room, you have more flexibility in terms of layout options. You can opt for a traditional setup with the two sofas facing each other or experiment with a sectional sofa that can divide the room and create designated zones. Adding accent chairs or a couple of recliners can also help maximize your space.
Large room sofa layout ideas
Large living rooms can accommodate more experimental layouts, such as creating multiple seating areas or using the sofas to visually divide the room into different zones. You can try placing your two sofas perpendicular to each other, creating an L-shape, or even placing them back to back to create a versatile space. You can also add additional seating with more pieces of furniture, such as a couple of armchairs or a chaise lounge, to create a comfortable and functional space. You really have a lot of options and how you arrange the sofas will be your personal preference.
Having a lot of available space for your furniture makes arranging it a lot more fun. With large spaces, you can bring the furniture in the middle of the room to create one, or multiple, seating arrangements in the space. This is the best option if you have multiple uses for the room such as for TV viewing, sitting by a fireplace, or entertaining friends and family.
Layout options by room shape
In addition to the size of your living room, the room’s shape also plays a crucial role in determining the best layout for two sofas. A square or rectangular room may be easier to work with, while an irregularly shaped room may require a bit more creativity.
For square or rectangular rooms, the classic option of placing the two sofas opposite each other, like a mirror image, is always a safe bet. This creates a balanced and symmetrical design that is appealing to the eye.
Alternatively, if you have a large square room, you could position the two sofas perpendicular to each other, creating an L-shape that defines a cozy seating area. This arrangement works especially well in a room with a focal point such as a fireplace or a large window.
For long rectangular rooms, furniture layout can be tricky. Often there are openings and/or doorways along the long wall as well making it difficult to properly place furniture. Or the room tends to be narrow which makes floating furniture difficult. But, I have some ideas for you.
Try placing your sofas on an angle, or diagonally in the room. This is a unique layout that can add visual interest to a room. It also creates a sense of flow and movement and opens up your wall space allowing traffic flow for doorways and openings.
Use the length of the room for multiple seating arrangements. This will help to make the room appear wider and less like a bowling alley. You can achieve this by placing your sofas in the middle of the room perpendicular to the long walls. This will allow areas on each side of the long room for other task areas such as maybe a kid’s area a game table, or even an office area.
A sectional can also work well in this room which will also help to separate the room into different conversational areas. You can either float the sectional having one side parallel to the long wall and the other separating the room, or place one side against the long wall to save some floor space.
You should try to avoid having your sofas on one side of the room though. This will create a space that will feel unbalanced and no matter what you do it will not look or feel right.
You might like this…
If you don’t want to keep moving heavy furniture around to find the right layout, try making a floor plan for your room first. Now you can do all the heavy lifting on paper. Not sure how? Read my post “How to draw a floor plan to scale” and learn, step-by-step, how to make a scaled room.
Layout ideas for an irregular-shaped room
For irregularly shaped rooms, such as a room with an angled wall or an “L” shaped room, you may need to get more creative. Consider placing the two sofas at a diagonal angle to create a dynamic and interesting layout. Or, if you have a narrow room, consider placing the two sofas back to back to create a versatile space that can be used for different activities.
Now that you have a layout option in mind, let’s move on to exploring different arrangements for different sofa types.
Open floor plan rooms
If you have a room that has open space to another room, then you can pretty much pick and choose your favorite layout. But, designers will often use the sofas to create seating areas to define the space. For instance, if you have a living room that opens up to the kitchen and maybe a dining area, then use your sofas in the middle of the room as a visual wall to separate the living room from the kitchen island. Or, you can use your sofas to separate the dining table or an office area.
How to arrange different sofa types together
Your sofa arrangement can also depend on what types of sofas you own, as well as other furniture pieces. Here are some different living room layout options by what types of furniture you have in the room.
How to arrange two different sofas in a living room
If you have two sofas that are different styles, colors, or sizes, then it would be a good idea to find a way to visually connect them. This can be done by adding accents. Find something to make them look like they belong such as matching or coordinating pillows or throws.
I like to pick something from one sofa and add it to the other. For instance, if the sofa came with matching pillows, take a couple and put them on the other sofa and vise-versa. Or find an area rug that has the colors of both sofas in it and it will tie them both together nicely. Just make sure that some elements of the sofas are repeated in the room in other areas such as in window treatments or another accent furniture piece.
how to arrange Two matching sofas
If you own a set of two identical sofas then you will want to use them in a way that they will balance each other out. The best way to arrange them is by using a mirror image. Place them opposite each other for the best visual arrangement.
how to arrange a Sofa and love seat
Consider placing one section perpendicular to the other to create a cozy L-shaped layout. For a classic three-seat sofa, try positioning it against the wall and placing a loveseat perpendicular to it to create a traditional seating area. I like to connect this arrangement by having the two arms touching in the corner and placing an end table in between. This is a great arrangement for any sized room. Use an area rug to complete the arrangement.
how to arrange a Sectional sofa
A sectional sofa is a versatile furniture piece that can be arranged in different ways depending on the size and shape of your room, your decor style, and how you plan to use the space. Here are some ideas for arranging a sectional sofa:
- U-shape arrangement: Position the sectional with an accent chair or two to create a U-shape. This configuration works well for larger rooms and is great for entertaining and hosting larger groups.
- Parallel arrangement: Place the sectional facing a wall or fireplace to create a more intimate seating area. This setup is ideal for larger rooms if you’re floating the sectional and is perfect for a small room if you place the sectional against a wall.
- Chaise lounge placement: If your sectional sofa has a chaise lounge, position it in a corner or against a wall to create a comfortable reading nook or TV viewing area.
- Dividing a room: Use the sectional sofa to divide a larger room into separate seating areas. This can be done by positioning the sectional perpendicular to a wall or placing it in the middle of a room.
- Creating a focal point: If you have a large sectional, use it to create a focal point in the room. This can be done by placing the sectional in the center of the room and adding a coffee table or rug to anchor the space.
- Modular arrangement: Some sectional sofas are modular, meaning you can rearrange the pieces to create different configurations. This can be useful if you need to change the layout of your room frequently.
Ultimately, the arrangement you choose will depend on your personal style and the layout of your room. Experiment with different configurations until you find the one that works best for you.
Make sure you’re creating a cozy conversation area
No matter how you arrange your two sofas, it’s important to create a cozy conversation area. After all, the living room is meant to be a space for gathering and connecting with loved ones. To achieve this, try pulling the sofas closer together and adding a coffee table or ottoman in the middle.
This will help create an intimate and inviting atmosphere. And don’t forget the small details! Adding accent pillows and a cozy throw blanket can make all the difference in creating a warm and welcoming space. Once you have your conversation area set up, it’s time to move on to the fun part – adding accents and accessories to tie everything together.
Add accents and accessories to tie everything together
Now that you have arranged your two sofas to create a cozy conversation area, it’s time to elevate the look of your living room with some accents and accessories. Accessories are what will bring your mix-matched items together in a more cohesive way.
You can achieve this by adding different elements to the room with complementary colors and textures. Also adding in some neutral colors will help to tie your items together. If you want to know how to arrange two different sofas in a living room and make them make sense, this is what you need to know.
- Throw pillows: Adding throw pillows to your sofas can help to tie together different colors and textures. Choose pillows that have complementary colors or patterns to your sofas. Not sure how to coordinate your pillows? Check out these pillow cover sets from Amazon.
- Area rug: An area rug can anchor your living room and create a sense of coziness. Choose a rug that has colors or patterns that tie in with your sofas and other accessories. The size of the rug will depend on the size of the room and the size and type of arrangement. Interior designers have a rule for determining the rug size. Ideally, you will want the furniture in the seating group to have all of their legs on the rug. But if this isn’t an option for you then at least have the front legs of the furniture on the rug. How to choose an area rug for your room.
- Curtains or drapes: Curtains or drapes can add texture and color to your living room while also helping to soften the space. Choose curtains that complement your sofas and other accessories. Here are some creative ways to hang curtains.
- Wall art: Hanging art on your walls can help to create a focal point in your living room and tie together different colors and textures. Choose art that complements your furniture and other accessories. This is a great opportunity to showcase your favorite family photos or artwork. Here are some creative ways to hang pictures in your home.
- Decorative objects: Adding decorative objects to your living room can help to add interest and personality to the space. Choose objects that have different textures and colors that complement your furniture pieces. Consider decorative objects such as vases, candles, or decorative trays to complete the look. These items can add texture and dimension to your space while also serving a functional purpose. Here are some tips for accessorizing your home.
- Lighting: Lighting can help to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in your living room. Choose lamps or light fixtures that complement your decor style and provide the right amount of light for the space. Here are some tips for different lighting options in your home.
- Plants: Adding plants to your living room can help to bring in natural elements and add texture to the space. Choose plants that are easy to care for and complement your decor style. Or, if you’re like me and don’t have a green thumb, Amazon has some great-looking faux plants.
Remember, the key to creating a cohesive and polished look in your living room is to choose accessories that complement your furniture pieces and tie together different colors and textures. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations until you find the look that works best for you. By adding accents and accessories, you will create a cohesive and inviting space for you and your loved ones to enjoy.